Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The thing about yummy mummys

Ok, I will likely get flak for this but wtf, its my blog.

I dont understand yummy mummys. Period. You walk down on the street and you are trying to get somewhere but you cant. Why?

Because of this atrocity.
This is one prototype of what J calls the 'SUV Strollers'. Yes, my dear friends thanks to it being cool to have kids and buying useless junk to make those kids cool, we have the SUV Baby Strollers. Gone are the days when your kids would be happy in whatever. No, you need giantatic baby strollers that block other not-so-cool ppls path - when all you are trying to do is get from Point A to Point B.

I come from Bombay. Getting from Point A to Point B and not doddling is what I live for. Trust me!

You know what I mean, Bombayites out there.

So you are walking - trying to get lunch or catch the bus and your way is blocked by this monstrocity being pushed by a Yummy Mummy. This lady, good looking, a new mom, is always dressed in clothes purchased from Lulu Lemon = everything that is wrong with the Western world. Here is why - you take an idea based in a country far away...in this case, yoga and turn into a fad and make millions while enslaving those poor bastards from the same country where you got your idea from to make those products, in this case clothes, while paying them shit.

But I digress.....

These yummy mummys are everywhere. They are always pushing those huge strollers, while the babies inside are dressed in baby gap or some such crap, hoping their mums notice they are really infants who are going to crap all over this $5000 stroller. They hold the latest offering by Starbucks - "oh, low fat chai latte w/ whipping cream, please. Yes, I am getting back in shape", dressed in yoga wear like its the next Armani and talking to the yummy mummy beside her about the next Bikram's yoga class.

What is wrong with being a mum. Like my mum. She never dressed in yoga clothes thinking she was wearing Armani, Never thought drinking Starbucks and putting me in this SUV stroller was the coolest thing in the world. She was my mum. She gave the best food, best clothes, best attention and all the love in the world w/out being wanting to be hip.

Dont get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with being hip or if you are mom you have every right to exercise and drink any over-priced starbucks beverage you want. But dont make your kids fashion accessories. They are not.

And for chrissakes - stop pushing those big giant strollers on the foot-path where I am supposed to walk!