Thursday, May 08, 2008

What I remember when I think of home -

The taste of tamarind in my mouth

Stickiness of mangoes

The gritty feeling of mud in my mouth

The heat

The welcome relief of monsoon rains

The smell of sweat when walking in the crowd

The smell of food, perfuming the air

The constant honking of cars passing by

Squealing children

The feeling of being home

The sweat drops on my skin

The way the hair sticks to the back of the neck and the cool feeling when there is a slight breeze

The way my nails are always black by the end of the day

Walking with my sister in the evening, cracking silly jokes, knowing I will have to leave her again, knowing that I wont see her for a few years and pretending at the same time I dont have to go.

4 comments:

Vi said...

Mud in your mouth????

laura b. said...

It must be painful missing your family and the home of your heart. When your child comes, remember that all the little everyday things you will do in his or her life will one day be the stuff of wistful memory.

Viki said...

Vi - what can I say, I remember eating mud and chalk. Cant remember what chalk tasted like...

laura - yes, true. Things that I wont pay attention to will be in my child's memory...Weird

Regina said...

tamarinds, YUM. i remember getting those in mexico but they call them tamarindos.
r