Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stars

Ever since I was a child - I loved watching the stars.

I feel that they connect me - to what I dont know. Maybe to history. Maybe knowing that they were there all those years before I was born. They were there when man first started noticing such things.

They are bigger than I am. I feel grounded. I feel at home when I see the Orion's belt. I can spot anywhere....
Particularly because I used to look for the stars from my balcony in my home in Bombay. Orion's belt brings me so much joy....




When I see it here in Vancouver - I feel connected to my sister and bro! We used to hang out in the balcony when my parents used to fight. The three of us huddling together - looking at stars, making small talk. Then there were times when all of us would hang out in a small balcony feeling the cool summer breeze late at night.

Orion's belt also reminds me of my conversations with my first crush....him and me talking late in the evening. It was sweet.

Then those stars also remind me of J. How we used to stay up late at night - talking, flirting under the watchful gaze of the Orion. It was all so simple and so sweet.

Now when I see stars in the night sky, particularly Orion's belt, I feel more at home. Its like I share a secret with those three stars.

2 comments:

Brian said...

The tight linear grouping of the prominent white stars Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka in the constellation of Orion. The names of all three refer to the set: the outer two are named after the "belt" of the Arabs' "Central One" (a mysterious female figure), while Alnilam comes from an Arabic word that aptly means "the string of pearls." The proximity of the three in the sky is an illusion. In fact, the stars at either end of the Belt, Alnitak and Mintaka, are the closest together in space, Alnitak being a little over 800 light-years away, and Mintaka 100 light-years farther off. The central star, Alnilam, is much more distant than either of these, lying on the edge of the Orion Molecular Cloud, more than 1,300 light-years from the Sun. Alnilam is also easily the most massive and luminous of the three stars, so that despite its greater distance it still shines more brightly than its two companions.

It's not the same after you read the facts is it.

Viki said...

Cant help but laugh! Actually, I knew that- being a geek myself.

However, do the facts matter? I think not - stars are stars. In this case, much more than that...