Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Elevators

I work in an office bldg - a big one. There are about 23 floors and 6 elevators.
Each of the elevators has one of those high tech - TV things hung on the wall. This TV gives you updates on news, weather and other bits.
I have noticed this before and have always thought of it to be odd. Its very odd - I think!

Its almost like saying "its okay if you dont want to make small talk - you stare at the TV". I find Vancouver to be the friendliest city - and yet...this.

There are times when I get on to the elevator with someone from my own floor and yet - I dont know their name or who or what they do....yet we may see each other every single day. Its odd.

And then I think - what if there was some huge calamity - or accident and that same guy was going to save my life and yet I have never talked to him. ODD.

Is it just me or are people getting further and further away from social contact?

I have been living in my new bldg for about 3 months now - yet, I dont know my neighbours. I dont talk to them and they dont talk to us. They are very polite but there is no talking. Again odd.

Its almost like everyone is so busy with their lives that they forget to live.

2 comments:

Brian said...

A lift with a television in it, now that's a novel idea. I've never seen one over here. The lift in the building where I work is glass, and you can look at all the people on each floor as go past.

For non english people,
lift = elevator

Viki said...

Yeah, Brian - I use the word lift when talking to myself. If I use it in a regular normal conversatio, i.e. when talking to people, they give a weird expression - like 'whaaaa did you say?'

But lift is so much more appropriate than elevator....