Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Work.

Ok, as you may already know I have a love/hate relationship with my work. Right now I am hating it for several reasons...

a) my co-worker is driving me crazy. Like literally she is very close to me completely losing it on her. She does events and finance and such stuff and has a procedure manual all set up for her job. She wants me to do the same. Here is the problem - she cant ask me to do anything - cause she is not my boss. She is my co-worker. She is used to assigning jobs to her husband, who is retired and does the same with the receptionist. Which is fine. No problem with me there. But she cant actually tell me what how I should spend my time.
The other thing is, I am a labour relations officer/research analyst. My job in terms of labour relations is giving people advise on their particular situation and trying to resolve things. I cannot put the details in terms of what the procedure is to do this. It cannot be relavant or correct. I cannot put lines like, if a member has problems with his/her employer s/he should do this that and the other. Depends on the problem and depends on the employer. Frankly, it is stupid. I've tried to communicate this to her and she doesnt seem to get it. She frequently stops by my office, telling me to get this done as I will be starting mat leave at some point - I try to convey to her to leave me alone but she just doesnt get it.
Thing is I actually like her. I do. I dont want to be nasty to her or tell her she has no authority giving me jobs - cause it would hurt her but seriously, she has got to get it at some level.

b) the people I work for are professionals. I cant give any more detail than that but they are going through training to become professionals, very highly skilled and high in demand. Needless to say, to get to this point in their lives they have to be really smart. Which they are. But at the same time, they are incredibly stupid. If I told you what they would be doing for the rest of their lives, and how incredibly stupid they were - you would distrust every single one of them the next time you come in contact with one of them or atleast think twice about your interaction.


Wow, that is a rant. Sorry for that - its just that I rant to J every so often but can only do some much ranting to one person. He gets how I feel about certain aspects of my job...

3 comments:

laura b. said...

Rants are good. It's what blogs were born to do.
I guess since you like your co-worker and don't want to hurt her, the best thing is just to try and tune her out when she goes into instruction mode. Easier said than done, I know.

Vi said...

Yep, rant away hon! Helps you feel better!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

I love to hear rants...I love them. It always makes people feel better.

I just yesterday wrote my friend a rant email. She probably is laughing her head off still...I felt wonderful after.

Ciao babes.