Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Friend

So I have known D since we were in grade 7 I think. I have kept in touch with her through all those years. She moved away from Bombay and we were still in touch and then I moved to Canada and we were still in touch and she moved to UK and we were still in touch. Until I think the start of this year. I have always answered every email she has sent me.

She was having some difficulties with her bf a few years ago and I would listen to her ranting. I have on numerous occasions chatted to her, while I was at work as she was having some crisis.

Then, when we were planning our trip to Italy, emailed her saying we might stop by on our way to Italy. I knew, she was busy with her in-laws so I was expecting a no, that time does not work for me. Instead, I got nothing. Nada. Atleast, have the courtesy to say "dont come". It would have been fine. I was already expecting it. I would understand it totally. But when you dont reply I get the feeling you are avoiding me.

On top of that, I got into trouble w/ J as he was expecting to stop by in UK. When I didnt hear anything from D, I assumed, I was not wanted, and didnt contact D further. I didnt tell this to J as what was I supposed to say "the person I have known for years, who I always make time for is avoiding me?"

Then, I did stop emailing her. Just the occasional 'hi' on orkut. She emailed me sometime back saying the same drawn out excuse I have heard a billion times. I was busy, got busy, in-laws just left, I am working blah blah blah. I did tell her I was pregnant and she mailed me a congratulations card. Which is fine and dandy but I think a little too less too late.

The reason why I am so mad is not because she got busy and didnt email me but because this is a pattern with her. She forgets I exist until she needs to talk or needs advice or is bored. I feel I do most of the work in this relationship and frankly, I am tired.

Then again, I dont have very many friends, so maybe I am the one messed up.

4 comments:

laura b. said...

There are givers and takers in the world, but it is too much for someone to only be one ALL the time. Your friend needs to give, at least a little.

Viki said...

I think so too. Its too selfish. The only problem is that she is too busy to figure this out by herself and I dont want to be the one to point it out.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

How very sad. I am losing a friend too, I think. She has not emailed me since early November. She lives in the UK...I have heard nothing, but this year she has been busy with her new life. I miss our daily emails.
I hope your friend finds her way back to you. Good friends should not be lost so easily.

ciao babes.

Viki said...

Spiky - maybe UK is the problem. Maybe it turns old friends against each other. Donno. Well, as I see it if a relationship is over, its over, no point tryng to extend it...