Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I like how now, instead of using the word "racial" everyone uses the word cultural.

The meaning ends up being the same - the effect is the same - it just sounds better, doesnt it?

My coworkers frequently talk about other "culturally" different people and frequently mention "cultural" differences in terms of food, weight, height and everything else under the sun but never mention race or racial differences.

I dont necessarily think they are being racists or shall I say culturalists...and not everyone does but I find that racism as traditionally defined (and you know no matter what we are calling it these days), is so hard to discern in this PC world. Atleast before it was open. If someone didnt like me because of my skin colour it was open, obvious and most of all I did have to work so hard to figure out why someone would say that or do that. I would not feel guilty of even thinking something along the lines of racism. It was obvious.

Now, while I think perceptions have changed some what and most people dont have the time to care who they are working with as along as the work is done, there is still a lingering effect, that many cant seem to let go. So then, in this PC world, comments are passed, things are said - but the victim then has to go through this thinking process that is tiring, daunting, frustrating and makes one feel guilty as hell to come to conclusion that what they are thinking is true, is correct but are they over thinking that or is it just that now the dagger of racism is wrapped in silk words, polite smiles and stabbed when you are not watching?

I dont know. Just something I noticed.

No comments: