Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Things are a happening...

My parents and my sis got the visa to Canada.

They are planning a visit soon. Anyways, since the parents cannot stay in my apmt they will be with the in-laws.

I called my mil yesterday, just to chat and she mentioned a few things...

She has to buy a mattress soon. We already gave her our old mattress which is an okay mattress b/c we knew someone would visit and they havent bought a mattress for ages. So they have a huge house with 5 bedrooms and over the last 10 years they didnt invest in a spare mattress. They way she said she has to buy a mattress, it almost felt like I should buy her a new one cause its my parents who are visiting. Yea, that is not happening. She can keep dreaming. The way I see it, she already has the one that we gave her she can buy another one as I didnt force her not to buy new mattresses. Anyhoo.

She also mentioned that will need new sheets. I could be crazy paranoid but her exact words were "I am going to need some sheets" and thats it. Meaning, she would like me to give her the sheets. Again, I know my parents are using the bed, but I already gave her the mattress, I can give some sheets if she wants but last time I checked she is supposed to provide this to ppl who stay with her. Its not like they are strangers. She has stayed with my parents and actually been taken around on a all paid trip for a week. My parents dont even expect that.

She also mentioned that she is going to be cleaning her kitchen this weekend and she needs help. All fine and dandy but I have a hard time cleaning myself. Really, just taking a shower is work. I am not going to drive all the way to her place and clean for 5 hours when I have enough things to take care of myself. I am not saying she should do this by herself but for her to expect me to drop everything and clean her freaking kitchen is a bit much. I moved out for a reason.

Partially, this all is a bit too much to handle. I didnt want my parents to come here b/c I knew she would get this way. I can just see her mentioning the increasing grocery bills and gas prices when they are in town. It will all be done very casually of course. Freaking hell. She will also refuse to take money from me b/c that would be insulting her. So there is no winning for me.

In the meantime, my dad isnt helping me at all. He is sort of a diva. We get along but we also have our differences. He keeps changing his mind about visiting and not visiting. Last I heard he didnt want to visit. Before that he said he would like to visit for 2 months and before that he said he can only come for a month. I would just like to know. Either ways. I am going to call him and ask him what is plan is point blank.

Freaking parents and relatives and all.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I think you are handling things well. Just keep acting like you do not find the hidden meaning in her words :-)

Lala said...

Passive-aggressive is what that sounds like to me! Maybe not appropriate in this situation, but what I usually do is *innocently* seek clarification on ambiguous statements - like, "oh, are you asking me to buy you new sheets and clean your kitchen?" (helps if others are within earshot) And inevitably the other person is all embarrassed and like, "oh no no, not at all." Then they keep quiet cause they know they are busted! :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, what larua says... just plead ignorance!