Monday, November 27, 2006

Freaking Snowstorm

Ok so there is a freaking snowstorm in Vancouver.

And guess where am I? At Work. Yes, that's right - I braved the snow and asthma (I woke up at 6 b/c I could not breathe) for work.

Why?

Because of my Indian work ethic. Yes, as a child I was not allowed to call a sick day. My mother more than my father, although he was close, believed that regardless of your health and the weather around you - if your school is open and the bus is going to get there - you have to be on the bus. Period. No ifs and buts. Get your damn ass on the bus ASAP.

I actually remember running for my school bus with a high fever and asthma. Yes, I caught the bus, I think.

Here is the philosophy - regardless of how you feel in the morning, you get dressed and get to school or work. If you don't feel well later on - you can come home. But no, 'ooh, mommy I feel sick can I stay home'. No, no, there will be none of that.

So here I am, in my something 20s and getting to work in a blasted snowstorm. Why, because that was what I was taught. Oh, did I mention that I am the only one at work and my boss is nowhere to be found....?

This is why those kids in India and China are going to take over. The work ethic. They will bust their asses to get the work done. Rain or shine, asthma or no asthma. Amen friend!

No comments: