Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ok, I know I havent been blogging all that much. Its b/c my co-worker, L is out of town. When she is around, she provides me with enough distraction that I usually have to blog....With her gone, I actually get work done.

Ok, thats a stupid lame excuse. I am just soooooooo tired all the freaking time.


Anyhoo, so my other co-worker, G, is a worry wort. She freaks out easily. With L gone, and my impending mat leave - she is freaking out about who will do all the work I do.

I told her, its not her problem. All she has to do is tell the bosses, my job is not her job and leave it at that. The concept of saying no doesnt occur to her. It is like speaking a different language all together. So in her freak out - she told the president that she is planning to retire soon. I think its a stupid mistake. I have been telling her to take her vacation, get paid out for all the overtime and give them at the max a month's notice. She has given them 3.5 month's notice.

Completely stupid if you ask me. She doesnt owe them that. They have treated all staff like crap. We are treated as a lowly office worker. No decisions are run by us, we arent even asked for some of the stuff that we know that would actually save the bosses some time and a lot of money.

G feels its her obligation to tell them she is leaving. She feels very loyal to the place and all that. Which is fine. But, she wont get paid for her vacation or any overtime. She is leaving mid-August b/c she thinks she has be around till the new ED is hired - cause how can a new ED cope with new responsibilities without me not being here.

I told her, I had told them in December that I would taking mat leave in July. They have had all this time to hire someone and understand labour relations. The whole point of me telling them was so that they would not be in the position they are in right now. They didnt hire anyone and whats more, they tried to change my work contract after finding out about my pregnancy. G knows all of this but....

What is worse is that her back is worse than it was. She has herniated 2 of her disks in the spinal cord, she is 60+ and she doesnt take the time to actually heal. I have told her and so has her friends that this is not something that will go away. She really needs to take it slow and just get better. She just doesnt get it.

It sucks, cause frankly, its not my problem. I do worry about her as I do quite like her. But there is only so much you can say and do. So I am just going to leave it.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I guess it comes down to the fact that you can give people advice, but you can't make them take it.

Vi said...

Maybe she'll be smart enough to take her months holiday now before she leaves? Sound like she needs the break!

Viki said...

laura and Vi - yup, I have done what I can. I am going to leave the rest.