Monday, November 17, 2008

The delivery - part 1

So I have wanted to write about this for awhile.

The delivery. The thing I dreaded the most. The moment I was convinced I was going to die.

Well, it was not that bad.

I have to say though I would not have been able to do it without J, my midwife and a very awesome nurse.

K was due July 19th. So on the 14th, I saw my midwife and I was like, I am so ready to give birth. You see by the last week of my pregnancy I was so full of fluid and so tired, and achy and sore that I just wanted the baby out. My midwife told me the usual things to go into labour. I was walking like crazy and going up and down the stairs and eating spicy foods. Anything to get things going. I started having contractions on the 14th. Just random no real rhythm just painful and uncomfortable. My back also started to hurt. I was ok, no biggie I can do this. Well that went on for 5 days. I couldnt sleep because of the contractions and I was not comfortable at all. My contractions never got to the 4 or 5 minutes apart. But I had contractions for 5 days. On Saturday, things got worse....

J was still trying to finish off his work so he was at home working. I was with my mum, my sis and J's grandma at my in-laws place and my in-laws were out for the day. Well what do you know, I had to "go into labour" then. So here I am, the only one who can drive a car, 30 minutes from the hospital. So I am trying my mother-in-laws cell trying to get in touch with her as she was not far away but busy at the temple. She was not answering her phone. Meanwhile I am having contractions lasting about 3 minutes long every 10 to 15 minutes. At some point, J shows up. He is like "I just finished work, I can start my pat leave now" I am like good, cause it seems like the baby is coming...now.

His parents show up and me, J, my sis and my mom take off. We decide to go back to our place and ride the pain as much as we can to make sure its not false labour and make sure the hospital doesnt send us back. So we are at home. J had barely slept the night before and he was tired as hell. My sis and my mom are just waiting... My contractions kept getting longer and longer but were still erratic. By this time I was screaming in pain with every contraction. I only live a 5 minute drive from the hospital so we decided to keep going as much as we could at home. My screams were getting louder and I was getting to a point were I need some drugs. So this is around 8 in the evening. J was scarfing down some left over lamb chops and potatoes. My sis and my mum were looking more and more terrified as things kept going. After some bleeding we decide to call the midwife. She comes over and examines me. She lets us know that we are having a "dysfunctional labour". What she meant was that the contractions were not coming close enough but were getting longer and longer. She said that we should think about inducing as this could go on for days and that I would keep getting more and more tired. The baby was doing fine so she wasnt too worried about him but she did say the eventually it would affect the baby as well. Keep in mind I hadnt slept for 5 days and was getting physically tired of the contractions.

So we decide to go to the hospital and induce.

2 comments:

Trixie said...

When I hear of pains like this, I'm sot of glad I had two c-sections and didn't have any labour pains at all.

laura b. said...

And see, now I'm feeling sort of like the men I mentioned in my last comment. I may have had five kids, but never went through anything like that! If you haven't been through it, you can sympathize, but can't really imagine what it must have been like.